Sunday, September 23, 2007

Do better without NoFollow

Comment on this blog to get linkedNoFollow is an HTML attribute value used with links to instruct search engines that a hyperlink should not influence the link target’s search engine rank. It is used like this: rel=“nofollow”. In all blog platforms, links in comments are set to NoFollow by default. You can remove this by deleting rel=“nofollow” from the template code or by using DoFollow plug-in. Removing NoFollow is a favor for the commentators. This will encourage the readers to put comment as they can increase their search engine rank by just commenting. You can put a badge in your blog to inform the readers that you have removed NoFollow.

You may think “who want a link in an unpopular blog”. There are people who want. What you have to do is, remove nofollow, go to the link exchange part of the forum you participate and put a post like “exchange links for comments”. So if anyone wants to exchange links they will put a comment in your blog with a link to their blog.

This trick works in another way. You can increase your search engine rank by commenting in popular blogs without nofollow.

Blogs linking to you in posts will be linked back. Those links are called backlinks. You can disable backlinks. You can encourage linking to your blog by removing NoFollow from backlinks. This may not work with a newly established blogs.


12 Post a comment:

Anonymous said...

Nofollow is a failure. Sure it might get rid of some of the comment spammers by giving them less reward for the spam via increased page rank, however the spam will continue because ultimately it will still drive people to their site through click-through's in the comments. In general it is hard for legitimate new websites to gain rankings without having to pay for in-text linking advertising, which I feel is a shame.

Here is my website if anyone cares.
www.pmi-fl.com

Anonymous said...

page digged, nice message Thank you from http://pain-of-salvation.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I understand the reasoning behind the nofollow tag and trying to combat spam. However I would have to disagree with cglines, launching a new site isn't hard without paying for text advertising. The first step towards success is great on-site SEO first, and step two is then submitting to a list of free directories using proper anchor text for titles within the directories. If anyone is interested in step 1 visit this link to start your on-site SEO with a SEO Report. Then submit to this list of Free Web Directories.

When choosing your titles (or anchor text) use your chosen keywords to rank higher for that search result.

Anonymous said...

Being able to post and get a backlink without the 'nofollow' tag is a really nice thing.
I think that there should be some kind of deal between bloggers and commentators. You give me a valuable post, I let you leave a backlink. However, such blogs must be constantly moderated as to prevent spam posts like "hi thanx".

Anonymous said...

Launching a new site may not be hard without paying for text ads, but a guy has to be on top of this ever changing seo kind of thing.You have to do all you can do and more.I'am wondering when it will all come crashing down.When will decide on a new direction.You really have to study all the time to even keep up.This is the hard part.

Anonymous said...

I'd not recommend using "follow" tag. You have to fight the spam, so don't be suprise that everyone uses nofollow on their blogs.

Anonymous said...

I guess you're right. The nofollow line has reduced spam but made it much harder for newbies like me to get those all important backlinks.
http://www.myworkathomedaddy.com

Anonymous said...

Nofollow has basically failed. Spammers still spam.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so there's a risk of getting more heavily spamming if I turn nofollow off on my blog (which I'm going to do tonight) but....

1 - the upside is I might get more comments;
2 - it probably won't increase me spam levels anyway 'cos the spam that's floating around is simply from robots anyway;
3 - askimet and other spam filters on my blogsite do a might good job of keeping the spam out in any case.

Of course, if I get snowed under by spam I'll soon change my mind but for now I'm going to try the experiment. I might even see if I can find some kind of logo to let people know the blog DOES follow: anyone know of one that's not naff?

S

Yasitha Tennakoon said...

That is a very good method. But spamming is a very big problem. Specially with people who use automated software. But thanks for your article.
Cool chap from Thescientist

Anonymous said...

Thanks to sites like yours. I'll subscribe to the rss and post comments regularly.

west bay fishing trips said...

I think everyone should scrap no follow it destroys the whole idea of linking and web socailising